We are proud to announce our new updated EWINS course. For the first time, an aircraft dispatcher school will provide EWINS training in house. This is not “Orientation to EWINS” as prescribed in a common Aircraft dispatcher certification course, and what other schools claim as a true EWINS course – our curriculum matches the outline prescribed by the FAA for EWINS certification. Sheffield is offering a 3-day EWINS (Enhanced Weather Information Systems) training course.
Our course is an EWINS-qualification program, not a 5-35 minute lecture on the theory and concept of EWINS – it is the application. After completing the course and receiving a certificate, the individual will not only be more astute at weather analysis, but will be in a more favorable position to become EWINS-certified if their airline deems it necessary for their dispatchers. Basically, it’s a head-start into advanced weather analysis, whether you become certified in the future or not.
The course is open to all Sheffield graduates as well as any individuals who are interested in increasing their weather forecasting ability through learning a wealth of meteorological concepts and techniques.
The training provided will emphasize operational forecasting, with a significant percentage of this course providing hands-on analysis and forecast practice and evaluation. This training program includes all lesson plans, study guides, handouts, and competency checks for the following curriculum segments:
- Statistical Terms
- Climatic Elements
- Climatic Controls
- Atmospheric Dynamics
- Heat Balance and Transfer
- Constant Pressure/Heights
- Atmospheric Structure
- Pressure Systems
- Localized Weather Patterns
- Weather Fronts
- Weather Data Sources
- Internet and Private Weather Data
- Weather Chart and Atmospheric Model Analysis
- Basic Analysis Techniques
- Thermodynamic Diagrams
- Weather Element Forecasting
- Surface Winds
- Visibility Forecasting Techniques
- Cloud Forecasting
- Turbulence Forecasting
- Icing Forecasting
- Pressure Altitude/Density Altitude
- Severe Convective Weather
- Convective Process
- Lifting Mechanisms
- Airmass Analysis
- TSTM Development and Lifecycle, including supercells, mesocyclonic rotation, Bow echoes
- RADAR and Meteorological Satellite (METSAT) Analysis
- Types of Satellites/Imagery
- Analysis and Convective Interactions
- Aviation Meteorology/Flight Forecasting
Our most updated version of the course (now approaching 20mb of presentation material) includes the following sections:
- Concept of EWINS, dispatcher vs. meteorologist roles, FAA definitions and requirements, approved weather sources and industry concerns about EWINS versus standard WINS.
- The use and interpretation of weather products widely used in forecasting including terminology, limitations, and examples, as well as listings of sources available in the public domain.
- A summary of various techniques available for element forecasting in the terminal environment and quality assurance/validation requirements.
- A growing appendix of quick references that would be useful for dispatchers involved in the forecast process.
Course Fees Tuition $700.00 [$1,000 for non-Sheffield graduates] – check for discounts.
March 9, 2017
One thing I kept in mind the whole time I was at Sheffield, is the reason I chose the school over others. It will be tough, busy and overall enjoyable. I haven’t had a single day I would say I could have missed. Look out for those tests, not only do they test your knowledge but they really make you think (you would know after the first one). Please do the workshops, they are really helpful, especially EWINS. Best of luck and see you on the other side!
July 10, 2015
“Great, interesting (EWINS) course!”
February 14, 2014
“The AIFP, ETOPS, & EWINS courses provided additional information and understanding on the topics that I did not have (earlier). The courses were worth attending and I would recommend that others attend.”
February 14, 2014
“Excellent complement after completing the (certification) course!”
February 14, 2014
“Thanks for everything. I learned so much and can’t wait to go back to work & apply all the information I got at this school! Thanks!”
October 28, 2013
“Excellent refresher in most things weather related. I did not realize how much I have forgotten in 35 years. I’ll recommend others from my company attend.”
October 28, 2013
“Reuben (the instructor) has such exceptional poise and command of the material, answered all questions thoroughly and succinctly, and provided one of the singularly exceptional learning environments I’ve ever experienced. I couldn’t recommend these courses enough!”
David H. Plotkin
June 10, 2013
“I am deeply impressed about the knowledge transfer in the workshops. This really helps me to make decisions independently within the working dispatch environment. Also, our instructor (Reuben) showed at all times a very high standard of performance. He was just great! Thank you! R.P.
- 2016 EWINS-only Application Form (if enrolling in EWINS without the FAA certification course)
- 2017 EWINS-only Application Form (if enrolling in EWINS without the FAA certification course
Is there an age limit for enrollment, I’m 53 years old?
No. In fact, knowledgeable hiring managers should view maturity as a “plus.” You may encounter perhaps one in three managers who are too young to understand that concept. A manager should ask to see your dispatcher certificate, and ask if you attended Sheffield School, verify that fact, then test you prior to an interview, etc.. I’d rather hire a wiser mature person who studies hard and is motivated, than a younger individual who is bright, but more interested in the local bar scene.
What are the steps or process for admission?
Click below to download the specific Admissions Procedures you require: